Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bruce: I was right to turn down Newcastle job

SUNDERLAND V NEWCASTLE

Bruce: I was right to turn down Newcastle job

October 30, 2010
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce claims that he has no regrets about refusing the chance to take over at Newcastle, as the two sides prepare to meet in the derby on Sunday.
Steve Bruce
GettyImages
Steve Bruce is enjoying his time at Sunderland.
Bruce has been repeatedly linked with the role at St James's Park - especially amid their chaos in 2008-09 when they were relegated to the Championship - but chose to move to Wigan and then to the Magpies' local rivals Sunderland; a decision he maintains was the correct one.
"I turned it down because it was not right, there were compensation issues and it wasn't right," Bruce told the Journal. "It was years ago. I went there, but it just didn't feel right so I turned it down. That is the facts. I turned it down twice. Instead I took a hell of a risk in going to Wigan with eight points when the Chinese were going in to Birmingham, I went to Wigan and did okay, thank the Lord.
"I am a big believer in what will be, will be, and it wasn't right at the time. It didn't happen. It was tough because there was obviously an emotional lure, but it wasn't right. I was driving away and it wasn't right. It should have been the other way."
One of the main reasons for his decision was the backing of the Sunderland board, in stark contrast to the Mike Ashley regime at St James's Park, and Bruce claims that stability is the key to success. He said: "I have got a fantastic job and I am very lucky. I have had difficult ones in the past where there is no stability. The greatest compliment I can give to this club is that from the commercial side, the media, ticket office, everyone wants the club to do well.
"Everyone is pushing in the right direction and in the same way. That stems from the owner down.
"I have a chairman (Niall Quinn) who knows what football is about. It is not like any other industry where you can buy something that will make you better. I am enjoying this job immensely. I hope I can keep carrying on by doing a decent enough job."

No comments:

Post a Comment